Family Support Service
Choices Family Support Service believes in helping families, building communities, and creating a better world for future generations. Our family support team provide a community based service to assist families and individuals in need through case management services. Prevention is a primary focus of Choices Family Support Service. Our goal is the prevention of abuse and neglect in order to maintain children safely in their homes.
A stable and loving family life is what gives children the security they need to be able to flourish and fulfil their potential. All families face difficulties and challenges and many will find ways to deal with their problems, getting the support they need from friends and relatives. There are times, however, when problems can seem too overwhelming to manage, and parents may struggle at these times to provide a nurturing environment for their children without professional support and advice. At Choices Family Support Service, we recognise this and you can approach us for help and support without fear of judgement or stigma.
We work to tackle some of the most complex and difficult issues facing families today – including financial hardship, domestic abuse, mental health problems, learning disabilities, or substance misuse and alcohol problem.
A Family Support Worker will be assigned to each family or individual who will assist them in accessing health care, parenting support, education program, emergency basic support, family centred activities, and employment support, food, budgeting, and other resources that may be needed.
The principles, which underpin our Family Support Service, are:
- Staff and families work together in a relationship based on equality and respect.
- Practitioners empower a family's capacity to support the growth and development of all family members - adults, youth and children.
- Policies and practices affirm and strengthen the family's ethnic, racial and linguistic identities and enhance their ability to function in a multicultural society.
- Family support workers work with families in their own home to mobilize formal and informal resources to support family development.
- Action plans are flexible and continually responsive to the family and community.